Sometimes it’s easy to focus on the negative or the downright annoying (as seen here). One of Alex’s suggestions for pulling myself out of this shitty crappy mood was to start a gratitude journal, listing fifteen things each day that have made me happy or thankful. I’ve tried this thing before and have never made it passed the third day but this time, I’ve kept at it. Except for yesterday. Yesterday, I was knackered after carrying my big-for-his-age eighteen-month old nephew around (and when I say ‘big for his age’, I mean it. He weighs more than his three-year-old sister. He’s not fat, he’s just sturdy. And gorgeous) and couldn’t lift my arm for love nor money.
Here are a few things that have brought a smile to my face this week:
- You guys, obvs.
- The looks of joy on my niece and nephew’s faces we go to visit – it could warm any heart.
- Being snugly in a warm bed when it’s freezing outside.
- An afternoon of window shopping with Mum.
- Finding a new series to read – The Hunger Games. Have you read these? I can’t get enough which is kind of bizarre because as much as children irritate me, I didn’t think I would enjoy a book about a contest where they have to kill or be killed. Oddly enough, I have loved it.
- A day that included both lemon tart and lemon meringue pie (my favourite).
- A father who can fix broken bathroom pipes (whoopsie. I may have caused a fountain of scalding hot water in my bathroom cupboard).
- Being able to read until 2.45am without the worry of getting up for work in the morning.
- A mother who knows more than she lets on.
- Crisp air and blue skies: the perfect winter’s day.
- Realising I had spent way less than I thought and then promptly buying two bunches of the most beautiful pink ranunculus. Flowers are a fail-safe when it comes to shitty crappy moods.
- Watching Dirty Dancing and being able to say all the lines, word for word. I acknowledge other people who watch the movie with me do not feel the same gratitude as I. This is something they have to deal with.
While I haven’t been able to list fifteen each day (is it weird I can’t find fifteen things that have made me happy or that I’m grateful for every day?), I’m finding writing a few things down is a nice way to cap off a day each evening.
So what about you? What’s made you feel all gooey this week?