Monday, September 8, 2014

An Accidental Novel


I think I accidentally wrote a novel.

Well, no. I did.

I had an idea and after I just couldn't stop thinking about it, I bought this tiny little notebook and thought if I scribbled every single thing I was thinking that the idea would burn out. But it didn't. Instead, I pulled out the laptop and started typing. My preferred method is usually to write by hand but there is no way my penmanship could keep up. I had to type. So I kept typing. I started in May and at the end of August, I had almost 120,000 words.

It was fun. I couldn't stop thinking about my characters. They invaded my every waking moment. I carried the pink notebook around with me everywhere and wrote down every idea. Any thought that crossed my mind. I would panic if I couldn't find it. 

But as I panicked, I would tell myself that it wasn't important, it was all just for fun. This wasn't to be talked about with anyone. This was very silly. This was actually pretty embarrassing. But then my computer froze. It unfroze for a while but then kept freezing. I completely lost my shit that the whole thing could be lost. I managed to save a copy to a USB before the computer set itself on fire and died until it was dead. 

That's when I realised that my silly little manuscript meant a quite great deal to me and now I have a first draft.

Holy shitballs, I did it. I have a first draft. In a couple of months, I'm going to start a second draft edit. But just because I want to see if I can do it. I still feel like this is all a bit of nonsense but there is a small, tiny part of me that is championing this silly accidental novel.


8 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! It was there all along ...just needed you to relax into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! An accidental novel; probably the best kind. Keep going. L x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you!
    When you publish, I will definitely be getting myself a copy to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, girl, I love it! I'm sorry your computer blitzed out on you, but I am glad that you saved the accidental novel. Maybe I will get to read it after all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yay! Congratulations! Whether accidental or otherwise, I'm sure that it will be wonderful.

    PS. Oddly enough, you popped into my head as I was driving home from work this evening! and I wondered how you are (in a totally non-stalkery way, promise), and then ... blog post! :)

    PPS. Sorry if this posted a million times. My computer is having issues as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! :)

    Natasha, I love that! I often have those kind of thoughts: "I wonder what so-and-so is up to these days" like they're an actual real life, face to face, kind of friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, so happy for you my friend!!!! So very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a brilliant thing to read. I am super happy and excited for you x

    ReplyDelete